Social Icons

hello

Tuesday 2 December 2014

                    cricket queen

Sachin Tendulkar yet to keep promise he made to para-athlete

 

In August, Sachin Tendulkar had assured Sakina Khatun that he will help the para-athlete get a job.It's not just his masterclass on the cricket field that people remember him for. Sachin Tendulkar's philanthropic nature has also earned him millions of fans across the world.Tendulkar is a regular donor for the cause of cancer and also sponsors the education of hundreds of underprivileged children through a Mumbai-based NGO Apnalaya. These are just some of the contributions of the gentleman cricketer to the society. But there is someone who is waiting for the Maestro to keep his promise.
Sakina Khatun was struck with polio when she was one-and-half-years old and damaged her right leg. But she fought through the challenges that life threw at her and the 25-year-old para-athlete went on to win medals for India at various international competitions. It was in August when Sakina caught the eye of Tendulkar who was in the Capital to felicitate the Glasgow Commonwealth Games medallists.
Sakina had won bronze at the Games for para-athletes, and Tendulkar was moved by the courage she had shown amid adversity to realise her dreams.
Despite her achievements, Sakina still lives a pitiable life and has been looking for a job for a long time. When Sakina came up to the dais to receive her award from Tendulkar it was a memorable experience for both of them. Tendulkar told her that the entire country was proud of her achievements and Sakina told him about her aspirations which may not be fulfilled without a sponsor or a job.
Tendulkar took her phone number and promised her that he will do something for her. "It was a great experience that my achievement was acknowledged by Sachin sir. I told him that I have been looking for a job for quite a long time but all my efforts have been futile. I don't even have a sponsor. He took my phone number and promised me that he will surely do something for me," Sakina, who finished a close fourth at the para Asian Games in Incheon, told MAIL TODAY.
"He (Sachin) is known to be a man of his words. I am still waiting for a response from him and I hope he will be able to do something, which will not only help me but will also inspire many other athletes to take up para-sports," the power-lifter said.
Sakina comes from a poor background and her father cannot contribute financially to the family as he is suffering from spondylitis. Her mother is the sole earning member of the family and works in the farms at a daily wage of Rs.200 in Kolkata.
"Financially, it is very difficult for my family to meet the daily needs. But somehow we have survived. I got Rs.6 lakh as cash reward for the medal I won at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. That is all I have earned so far as cash award. If I have to compete at the top level even that money is not enough so I have to rely a lot on my coach Farman Basha," she added.
After the 2012 London Olympics, the then sports minister Ajay Maken had announced that the athletes, including para-athletes, can avail coaching jobs in the Sports Authority of India but the policy never saw the light of the day.
For Sakina, however, the wait continues and she expects the Master to spell his magic as he had done during his playing days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text

 
Blogger Templates